Calling all cookie stories

Calcionelli, a fried cookie filled with ground nuts and honey, is a family favorite of AFR’s Domenica Marchetti. Click here for the recipe. /Photo by Domenica Marchetti

We all know that the best holiday cookies are made from more than just flour, butter, sugar and spices. The best cookies tell a story. Maybe it’s a story about where your mother came from. Maybe it’s a story—and a recipe—that’s been passed down from your great- great-grandparents. Maybe your favorite cookie crossed an ocean to get here, or perhaps it came from a neighbor right down the street.

So what is your favorite cookie with a story? Enter your recipe and story by Dec. 17 by choosing “contact us” below. The winner will be announced Dec. 21.

(Submissions should include a brief (250 words) story about your favorite cookie, the recipe and a photo.) The winning recipe will be pulled from a chef’s hat and posted on AFR with a photo. The winner will receive a copy of Nancy Baggett’s new book “Simply Sensational Cookies.”

, , ,

14 Responses to Calling all cookie stories

1. Profile photo of Lisa Stuart
    Lisa Stuart December 6, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

During a shower for my soon-to-be sister-in-law, my elderly grandmother pulled me aside, and said “those are just like the butter cookies I use to make!” I replied,”Of course they are Grandma. I made them using your recipe and cookie gun.” She beamed the rest of the afternoon.

• Profile photo of Domenica Marchetti
      Domenica Marchetti December 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

This is wonderful, Lisa. Thanks for sharing your story. Any chance you might share your grandmother’s butter cookie recipe too? (pretty please?)

• Profile photo of Bonny Wolf
      Bonny Wolf December 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Hey Lisa. Thanks so much! Very sweet. Would love the recipe.

2. Liz Marr December 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

To the American Food Roots Women – I love your new endeavor. I’m looking forward to reading more and joining your community.

I wrote about our family’s holiday sugar cookie recipe on my blog a couple years ago and I hope you don’t mind my sharing the post:

We lost the caramel frosting recipe when my grandmother passed away and my aunt’s friend called her out of the blue about the recipe she had found in her mother’s cookbook and it was my grandmother’s long-lost frosting recipe.

We enjoy these cookies every year and I think of my grandma whenever I’m baking these.

• Profile photo of Domenica Marchetti
      Domenica Marchetti December 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Liz,
      Welcome to AFR and thank you for sharing the links and this great story about your grandmother’s lost and found frosting recipe. Looking forward to getting to know you.

• Profile photo of Domenica Marchetti
      Domenica Marchetti December 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Hi Liz,
      Any chance we can get you to submit your story and recipe ‘officially’? To do this, just click on ‘Contact us’ at the bottom of the page, which will take you to the right place to enter. Many thanks and welcome to AFR!

3. Jamie Schler December 7, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Thrilled to have discovered your new site and become part of the community. Just one question about this little competition (and a huge wonderful rpize!) – what is the deadline? Thank you!

• Profile photo of Domenica Marchetti
      Domenica Marchetti December 7, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Now THAT is a good question! Deadline date has been added above Jamie ~ Monday, Dec. 17. Many thanks for joining. We’re thrilled to have you!

• Profile photo of Michele Kayal
      Michele Kayal December 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

Jamie did you get the answer to your question? Deadline for submissions is Dec. 17. Please submit to contact@americanfoodroots.com. Thanks so much. So glad to have you in the community!

4. Trina Robertson December 7, 2012 at 10:25 am #

The timing of your site is perfect, I was just sharing a cultural food guide http://ow.ly/d/Wq5 that ties so well with the holidays when traditional foods are served more often. I have a post with our family’s tradition cookies, pizzelles. The directions are from 1967 and it takes hours to use the waffle-like iron to press the dough into 100+ crisp anise-flavored cookies. It’s become a family tradition every December to make these.

• Profile photo of Domenica Marchetti
      Domenica Marchetti December 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Hi Trina,
      Pizzelle have been a tradition in my family as well. We’d love for you to submit your story and recipe by clicking on ‘Contact us’ at the bottom of this page. Welcome to AFR and thanks for your comment.

5. Profile photo of Adri Barr Crocetti
    Adri Barr Crocetti December 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

This is such a wonderful idea – sharing treasured recipes with others. A secondary benefit of a project like Calling all cookies is the guarantee that special cookie recipes, heretofore recorded only in the mind of the baker, will be committed to paper (or disc) and thus available to future generations.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. American Food Roots meets Italian Christmas Cookies – Adri Barr Crocetti - December 11, 2012

[...] send their favorite cookie with a story. Is it a family treasure? A neighbor’s pride and joy? Click here to find out the details about submissions. And for the calcionelli recipe, click here. These [...]

2. Buckeyes | JENNY ROUGH | WRITER - December 12, 2012

[...] she is also from Ohio. She talks about pies. And one more thing: American Food Roots is having a Christmas Cookie Contest. Submit your recipe, a 250-word story about it, and a photo by Dec. 17, and you could [...]